Light level of 7 or less anywhere but transparent blocks (half blocks, glass, TNT etc).
Spawning[edit | edit source]
Wild wolves spawn on the surface of the Overworld at light levels of 7 or less.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Wild wolves will drop:
- 0–2 Fur, which can be increased by 1 per level of Looting.
- 5 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Wolves spawn in dimly lit places on the surface of the Overworld, or at night. They will attack the player during the day if provoked or in places with a light level of 9 or less, and will continue to be hostile even if exposed to higher light levels.
At night, wild wolves roam the Overworld in packs of 1–4. Wolves will howl and open their mouths occasionally. They make snarls and growls when hit, and a soft howl when killed. They will attack other mobs smaller than them, including farm animals. Pets and farm animals need to be kept indoors or in fenced areas at night to prevent wolf attacks.
Like rats, wolves can become a nuisance if not dealt with in large numbers or when fighting more dangerous mobs. Any wolf with a skeleton, silver skeleton or zombie riding it will gain a significant speed boost.
History[edit | edit source]
v8.0.0 DEVa[edit | edit source]
- Skeletons, silver skeletons and zombies can now ride wolves as well as mob horses.
v4.1.3[edit | edit source]
- Fixed animation bug with wolves mouth.
v2.13.1[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug with wild wolves snouts.
v2.10[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug with snouts being off 1 pixel when wolves rotate their heads.
v2.9.2[edit | edit source]
- Reduced default frequency of wild wolves.
v1.6[edit | edit source]
- Wolves won't hunt in peaceful difficulty.
v1.5[edit | edit source]
- Wolves will attack pigs, chickens and sheep, in addition to players during the night.
?[edit | edit source]
- Added wolves.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Wild wolves share the same models as werewolves, but instead walk on all fours.
- In the screenshot below, it is shown that wild wolves use five different skins. However, they only appear to use the third one.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Bear • Big Cat • Bird • Bunny • Crab • Dolphin • Elephant (Mammoth)• Fishy • Fox • Goat • Horse • Jellyfish • Kitty • Komodo Dragon • Manta Ray • Manticore • Medium Fish • Ostrich • Raccoon • Scorpion • Shark • Small Fish • Snake • Stingray • Turkey • Turtle • Wyvern