Light levels of 7 or less
Spawning[edit | edit source]
Rats naturally spawn in the Overworld on top of solid blocks at a light level of 7 or less.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Rats come in two different colors: brown and black. There is also an unused albino model.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Rats will drop:
- 0-2 Raw Rat meat upon death, and will still drop it even if set alight. This can be increased with the Looting enchantment.
- 5 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Rats spawn in dimly lit areas, and will not burn in sunlight. They wander around aimlessly, and make loud squeaks occasionally. Rats will avoid cliffs high enough to cause fall damage, although they tend to ignore this when in pursuit of the player. Rats usually stay out of water.
Rats have a similar pursuit behavior to that of spiders: they will attack the player within a 12 block radius if the light level drops to 7 or less, or if provoked in light levels higher than this, and remain neutral if the light level is higher. Like wolves and zombie pigmen, rats will attack the player if a member of their group is attacked by the player. You may mistake rats for mice, since rats have similar models, but size can be used to tell the difference, as rats are larger than mice.
When in pursuit of rats, they may become a nuisance if they form a large group, especially when fighting more dangerous monsters. They are not very fast mobs though, as they move slightly slower than the player's walking pace.
History[edit | edit source]
v4.1.3[edit | edit source]
- Changed rat item drop.
v2.12[edit | edit source]
- Added rats.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If an ogre is near a group of rats, you can lure the ogre and the rats in together and then have the ogre smash the ground to kill the group of rats, or you can finish them off easily if they're still alive.
- Prior to v4.1.3, rats dropped coal instead of raw rat.
- Rats were added in the same version as kitties.
- Rats share the same Entity ID as hellrats.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Bear • Big Cat • Bird • Bunny • Crab • Dolphin • Elephant (Mammoth)• Fishy • Fox • Goat • Horse • Jellyfish • Kitty • Komodo Dragon • Manta Ray • Manticore • Medium Fish • Ostrich • Raccoon • Scorpion • Shark • Small Fish • Snake • Stingray • Turkey • Turtle • Wyvern