See Data values
See Data values
Eggs are items and non-moving entities.
- 1 Spawning
- 2 Obtaining
- 3 Usage
- 4 Properties
- 5 History
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
Spawning[edit | edit source]
Eggs do not spawn naturally, but they can be placed by the player.
Ostriches[edit | edit source]
Scorpions[edit | edit source]
Wyverns[edit | edit source]
A wyvern egg will appear if any essence is used on a tamed wyvern (except for mother wyverns, undead wyverns, dark wyverns and light wyverns).
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
The mobs listed above (except for sharks, wyverns and manticores) will drop 0 to 2 eggs; manticores, wyverns and sharks will drop 0 to 1 eggs. Sharks will only drop eggs on Easy or higher difficulty and have a 10% chance; Komodo dragons and manticores have a 25% drop rate.
In the 1.12 versions, all of the eggs are available in the creative inventory.
Pairing ostriches[edit | edit source]
An ostrich egg will appear after a wild male and female ostrich have been "bred". The male and female need to be kept close in order for an ostrich egg to appear. After the female ostrich lays the egg, you can collect it. If you don't obtain the egg in time, the egg will hatch a wild baby ostrich.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Hatching[edit | edit source]
An egg's main purpose is to hatch into a baby mob. Most eggs can be hatched by placing them on the ground with use, though eggs obtained from water mobs will need to be placed in a body of water.
A few seconds after an egg has been placed, a chat message will appear to tell the player to "KEEP WATCH!", and will also display the egg's coordinates. When an egg hatches, a 'pop' sound similar to a chicken laying an egg can be heard, and the naming screen will appear. If you stray too far from the egg (about 9 or more blocks) the resulting baby mob will be wild. If this occurs, you have to start again.
Nether[edit | edit source]
Eggs can be placed in the Nether to hatch a nether ostrich or nether scorpion.
Cooking ingredient[edit | edit source]
Eggs can be cooked in a furnace to make an omelet.
Properties[edit | edit source]
Eggs never move, and instead remain static. They can be pushed by mobs, the player, pistons, set on fire, poisoned, hit, but are not affected by knockback. Eggs can also be "killed" like mobs, and emit a puff of white smoke after death.
History[edit | edit source]
v12.0.2[edit | edit source]
- Added eggs to creative tab.
v10.0.1[edit | edit source]
- Sorted eggs.
v6.3.1[edit | edit source]
- Fixed ostriches not laying eggs.
- Added configurable egg drop chance for ostriches.
- Added some missing egg drop command options in /moc help.
- Female ostriches now require a melon seed in order to have the ability to lay a single egg. Only untamed female ostriches can lay eggs with a male ostrich close by.
v6.2.1 hotfix1[edit | edit source]
- Fixed ostrich eggs not hatching.
v6.2.1[edit | edit source]
- Female ostrich eggs are no longer sterile. Players must now pick up the eggs in order to hatch them.
- Fixed wyverns not laying eggs.
- Fixed wyverns, small fish, and medium fish not dropping the correct egg type.
v6.2.0 DEVR3[edit | edit source]
- Fixed fish eggs not hatching when placed in water.
- Fixed red fishy eggs appearing as 'item.mocegg.9.name'.
- Fixed scorpion eggs checking for more than 5 types.
- Added new config option 'ostrichEggThreshold' which controls how many Ostriches there can be in a world before ostriches can no longer lay eggs.
- Added location for egg hatch notifications.
v6.2.0 DEVR1 hotfix 3[edit | edit source]
- Fixed new wyvern egg types not hatching.
v5.2.5 DEV R2[edit | edit source]
- Fixed NPE when spawning eggs.
v5.2.0 DEV[edit | edit source]
- Ostriches no longer lay eggs if tamed.
- Wyverns will drop eggs on death even if they're not spawned in the Wyvern Lair.
- Eggs notify players with chat messages when hatching, egg hatching time reduced.
v5.1.5[edit | edit source]
- Mother wyverns now have a 1/3 chance to drop eggs instead of 1/10.
- Changed init creature settings, spawning eggs now check the environment to spawn the right subtype.
v4.4.0[edit | edit source]
- Nether ostriches now lay Nether ostrich eggs.
- The player can obtain a scorpion egg by giving an essence of darkness to a tamed scorpion.
v4.3.1[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug with fishy eggs not hatching.
v3.7.0[edit | edit source]
- Decreased the ostrich egg laying and spawning of new ostrich chicks.
v3.6.2[edit | edit source]
- Ostriches won't lay eggs if there are already more than 10 eggs in the world.
- Tamed ostriches will lay eggs that hatch tamed chicks.
- Eggs will despawn if they age.
v3.5.0[edit | edit source]
- Rehauled eggs. A single item will be used for all eggs (fish, sharks and snakes). The tooltip describes the kind of egg.
- Fishies will drop eggs that will spawn fishies of the same color. Fishies spawned that way are tamed..
v3.0.1[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug with fish egg cloning.
v2.9.4[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug with fish eggs/shark eggs not spawning.
v2.8.1[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug with shark eggs becoming leather.
v2.6.2[edit | edit source]
- Sharks won't attack shark eggs.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- You can pick up an egg like a dropped item by simply walking over it.
- Eggs cannot be thrown like Minecraft eggs, and cannot be used to craft cakes or pumpkin pies.
- Because eggs have the same shape all around, they don't appear to look upside-down after being named "Grumm" or "Dinnerbone".
- Eggs have a similar texture to snowballs.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Bear • Big Cat • Bird • Bunny • Crab • Dolphin • Elephant (Mammoth)• Fishy • Fox • Goat • Horse • Jellyfish • Kitty • Komodo Dragon • Manta Ray • Manticore • Medium Fish • Ostrich • Raccoon • Scorpion • Shark • Small Fish • Snake • Stingray • Turkey • Turtle • Wyvern