Opaque blocks with at least one block space above them.
|“||That's really the whole point of the birds, atmosphere. I'm trying to put some color and life in the MC world. Although some peeps may start practicing with their bows...||„|
Birds are flying tamable mobs.
- 1 Spawning
- 2 Drops
- 3 Behavior
- 4 History
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
Spawning[edit | edit source]
Natural generation[edit | edit source]
Birds spawn on grass blocks at light levels of 9 or more with at least 1 block space above. They often spawn in groups of 2–4 during world generation.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Birds come in six different colors: blue, green, black, white, yellow, and red. Each type of bird comes with its own unique song.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Birds are passive mobs, and tend to hop on the ground instead of walking. They wander and fly arond aimlessly, singing or chirping occasionally. They usually stay out of water, but if in water, they will try to stay afloat by flapping their wings. Birds are attracted to wheat seeds, and will eat any within a few blocks. If the player is harvesting wheat, any birds nearby will fly over to come and eat the seeds. There is a risk to an early harvest if the birds happen to trample on the crops . This can be prevented by having a tamed wolf, cat or other pet sit near the crops to scare the birds off, or building a roof over farms.
Trees[edit | edit source]
Birds are attracted to and fly around trees; they will search for any nearby leaves and once they find leaves, they will search for any nearby logs. Once logs have been found they will fly towards the top of the tree/structure. Birds will sometimes get stuck under a tree if they are trying to fly on top of it.
Taming[edit | edit source]
To tame a bird, drop seeds on the ground and then right-click on the bird after they have eaten the seeds, which will show the naming screen. Taming birds can be difficult to achieve, as it requires patience, and you will need to keep your distance so the bird can eat the seeds.
Picking up[edit | edit source]
A tamed bird will go on the player's head when the player right-clicks on it. When on the player's head, the player can perform long-distance horizontal jumps (as if they had the Slow Falling effect) and also become immune to fall damage. If the player is riding a horse, wyvern or other mountable mob with a bird on their head, it will gain a massive speed boost and become very difficult to control.
Tamed birds can be healed with seeds, either by dropping seeds at the bird or right-clicking it.
History[edit | edit source]
v6.0.0 DEV[edit | edit source]
- Fixed birds not being afraid of the player.
v5.2.4[edit | edit source]
- Fixed possible NPE with birds.
v4.5.0[edit | edit source]
- Tamed birds won't be named every time they eat seeds.
v4.4.0[edit | edit source]
- Birds can be healed with seeds.
- Rope can be used on tamed birds.
v4.3.1[edit | edit source]
- You can now name your tamed birds by using an amulet or book.
v4.2.0[edit | edit source]
- Fixed pet mounting (birds).
v3.6.0[edit | edit source]
- Increased bird's health.
v3.5.0[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bird feet thanks to Xotano.
v2.11[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bug with birds not riding minecarts.
v2.10[edit | edit source]
- Fixed wrong sound when lifting a tamed bird.
v2.9.4[edit | edit source]
- You can pick up tamed birds that can help you glide.
v2.8.1[edit | edit source]
- Fixed bird spawning.
v2.5.3[edit | edit source]
- Tamed birds will eat seeds again.
v2.5.1[edit | edit source]
- Fixed wing flipping bug in birds.
v2.3[edit | edit source]
- Once tamed, birds won't eat seeds (they still will be attracted to seeds).
- Some performance tweaking on the birds (decreases CPU load).
- Other minor tweaks to the birds' AI.
v2.1.1[edit | edit source]
- Changed the bird's wings.
- Artificially increased spawn rate of birds.
- Made birds tamable.
v2.1[edit | edit source]
- Added birds.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Unlike the vast majority of other mobs, birds don't have hurt or death sounds, though this could be a bug.
- The six types of birds are modeled after the blue grosbeak, parrot, crow, mourning dove, canary, and cardinal.
- Birds can be used to glide safely from heights without the risk of falling to your own death.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Bear • Big Cat • Bird • Bunny • Crab • Dolphin • Elephant (Mammoth)• Fishy • Fox • Goat • Horse • Jellyfish • Kitty • Komodo Dragon • Manta Ray • Manticore • Medium Fish • Ostrich • Raccoon • Scorpion • Shark • Small Fish • Snake • Stingray • Turkey • Turtle • Wyvern